A passionate lawyer with over 25 years experience in General Law Practice with major interest in Civil Litigation, Safety Law, Corporate and Commercial Law, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Real Estate and Legislative Drafting.
Professional experience (in both private and public sector) includes: promoting safety as a culture in the society; drafting safety legislations and providing safety standardisation for industry; advising clients on none and contentious legal issues and representing their interests in all courts of record
Skills: conducting trials to completion at the High Court; arguing applications at the Court of Appeal; preparing various corporate and commercial agreements; participating in various alternative dispute resolution proceedings; working on several commercial transactions and actively participating in the smooth conclusion of complex negotiations relating to same; active involvement in the negotiations of public private participation (PPP) arrangements; assisting in drafting of bills which were passed into law.
SUCCESSES AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- Appointed as Executive Member, International Bar Association (2012) as the first and current Health & Safety Officer, Environment Health & Safety Committee of the International Bar Association
- Assistant Director, Directorate of Civil Litigation, Ministry of Justice, Lagos State
- Thought leader on issues bordering on corporate governance and the rights of indigenous people in Nigeria.
- Resource person for diverse organizations including: Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, International Bar Association (Mining In Africa: Opportunities And Legal
Challenges (Tanzania 2014); Human Rights and the Environment: Niger Delta, Nigeria (Washington DC 2016))
- Appointed as the first Secretary to Lagos State Safety Commission by the Executive Governor of Lagos State, Mr Babatunde Raji Fashola SAN (2013)
- Project-managed to launch: lagosstatejustice.org/agf which was established to provide information, data, news and details of events (past, present & future) as it affects the people of Lagos State upon the successful hosting of a stakeholders summit; “Awaiting Trial Process/Inmate” in June 2009.
- The primary aim of the summit was to provide a platform for Legal Aid Service Providers in Lagos State; to share information and to agree on action points for prison intervention, particularly the dilemma of Awaiting Trial Inmates in the 5 prisons in the State.
- The Summit, which entailed public interaction, sought to review among other things the status of Awaiting Trial Process/Inmate (ATPs) or Pre Trial Detainees (PTDs) in prisons in Lagos State and intervention initiatives by government and non government legal aid service providers. It has been categorised as a huge step in the realization of criminal justice reform in Lagos State. It was well attended by stakeholders with approximately 200 participants.
- Currently organising another project ‘Justice Delay and Nigeria Millennium Development Goals: Effects of Delay in Business Litigation.’ The government, private, public and individual laud the idea of millennium development goals and look earnestly towards the attainment of same.
- Conference organiser – the summit on Awaiting Trial Process/Inmates (June 2009), review of the Civil Procedure Rules (2010).
- Successfully prepared bills that were passed into law:
- Lagos State Safety Commission Law
- School Health Law which ensured free meal and milk for pupils in public school
- Universal Basic Education Law which provided for mandatory basic education for pupils and made it unlawful for parents not to send children/wards to school
- Lagos State Metropolitan Area Authority deals with transportation
- Lagos State Emergency Management Agency.
March 2011 – present – Lagos State Safety Commission, Lagos State, Nigeria – Secretary to the Commission
- Appointment as Secretary by the Executive Governor of Lagos State, Mr Babatunde Raji Fashola SAN
- Founding member of the Commission seeing to the drafting and passage of the Commission’s Law through the State House of Assembly
- Responsible for advising the Commission on all legal matters
- Representing the Commission at relevant meeting
- Ensuring meetings are effectively organised and minuted
- Maintaining effective records and administration
- Upholding the legal requirements of governing documents
- Communication and correspondence
- Drafting relevant guidelines, regulations, standards and policy on safety matters in the first State in Nigeria; first country in sub Sahara Africa with a Safety Commission
April 2000 – March 2011 – Ministry of Justice, Lagos State, Nigeria – State Counsel
- Providing legal service to government agencies and general public in diverse areas such as legislative drafting, landlord & tenants, land matters, write legal opinion, request for service of process, alternative dispute resolution
- Representing the State Government in court where sued as a party etc.
- Successfully prepared bills that were passed into law: School Health Law which ensured free meal and milk for pupils in public school; Universal Basic Education Law which provided for mandatory basic education for pupils and made it unlawful for parents not to send children/wards to school; Lagos State Metropolitan Area Authority deals with transportation; Lagos State Emergency Management Agency.
- Successfully conducted trials to completion at the High Court. An example is a court judgment restoring land which had been encroached on to state government
- Successfully argued applications at the Court of Appeal
1998 – April 2000- NIPACO, Lagos State, Nigeria – Operations Coordinator
- Overseeing the production, sales, personnel departments of the company
- Liaising with the Managing Director and the Board on setting of goals/objectives for the company and monitoring actual reports with budgeted targets
- Coordinating the activities of the company’s factory.
- Introduced and implemented regular meeting of the various departments
- Introduced incentives for workers meeting and exceeding their daily/weekly/monthly quota
- Exceeded goals/targets of company
1998 – April 2000- NIPACO, Lagos State, Nigeria – Legal Department
- Worked with the company secretary to advise the company on all legal matters including preparation of all legal documents.
- Participated in meetings on behalf of the company.
- Ensured company complied with applicable regulations
- Implemented a system of cataloguing and filing
1995 – 1998 – Access Bank Nigeria Plc, Lagos State, Nigeria – Accounts Officer
- Management of basic branch operations, which included current and savings account
- Appraised and analysed credit requests from customers
- Verified and ensured sufficiency and authenticity of collateral securities provided by customers.
1991 – 1995 – Temping, Retail Manager, London, England
- In charge of marketing and merchandising
- Management of brand
- Ensured targets set are met and surpassed
1989 – 1991 Barrister at Law
- Nigerian Law School, Lagos State, Nigeria.
1985 – 1988 BA (Hons)
- Hatfield Polytechnic, Hertfordshire, England.
1984 – 1985 ‘A’ Levels: 2 A Levels
- Cambridge Tutors, Croydon, England.
- Nigerian Bar Association, Nigeria.
- International Federation of Women Lawyers
- International Bar Association (IBA), England.
- Health & Safety Officer, Environment Health & Safety Committee of the International Bar Association
OTHER COURSES/PROGRAMME ATTENDED
2013 Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Centre for Human Security
And UNESCO Institute for African Culture & International Understanding
- Regional Summit on Women and Youth in the Promotion of Cultural Security and Development in Africa
2011 Chartered Institute of Environmental Health,
- Levels 2 & 3
2008 Certificate in Mediation & Negotiation
- Negotiation & Conflict Management Group, Lagos State, Nigeria
2006 Post Graduate Diploma in Legislative Drafting
- Institute of Advance Legal Studies, Lagos State, Nigeria
2001 Negotiating International Contractual Agreement
- University of Lagos